Monday 27 May 2013

Pure Love

Hello everyone

I wanted to take a closer look at an aspect of Annette Edgar's work that could be overlooked.
There has been much comment about how bold her work is, how confident and strong it is, and it's true, the work is strong and powerful: it's not by chance that Annette has gained a reputation for being 'fearless with a paintbrush in her hand'.

However, I feel that there are many aspects to this exhibition and, for me, I find the sensitivity and empathy with which Annette records the world around her as compelling as the courageous manner in which she executes it.
Indeed, I find her work to be as laden with soul as it is colour and layers of paint.















'Pure Love', oil on linen, by Annette Edgar.
'Pure Love' is an obvious example, where Annette captures the unbreakable bond between mother and child and it matters not a damn that they are clearly not biologically related.
In a recent interview, Annette is quoted as saying, 'I like a lot of laughs in life, but I also like holding hands, tears and sharing experiences.  I think there's something quite poignant in life and vulnerable in all of us'

In these words, and in the following images, I find that Annette's compassionate and knowing side is of equal importance to the colour and confidence in her work:













 




'Where Are we Going To', oil on linen, by Annette Edgar.
This painting is the work of a true voyeur and encapsulates the uncertainty of life, whilst at the same time demonstrating the value of hope, of relationships, bonds and sharing.  It is a wonderful, moving work of art.














'Sea Lovers', oil on linen, detail.
In this detail we can again see Annette's sensitive handling of her subject matter. The head has been painted with great care, giving the figure emotion and soul.














'Mezzogiorno', oil on linen.
I adore the face of the little girl. Her gaze is poignant, almost haunting and I feel should belong to a person many years her senior. This little detail also demonstrates that Annette Edgar's handling of paint is second to none. In what appears to be a few, confident brushstrokes, the child's expression is captured for an eternity.
Sadly, as in life, all good things must come to an end and Annette Edgar's exhibition is only on until June 3rd. I strongly urge you to see it.

Speak soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment