Thursday 13 May 2010

Little Things


Hello everyone

We had a gorgeous end to the day on Wednesday, so I thought I would take a relaxing stroll round Inverleith Park with Union Gallery hound Tommy.
I think I'm very lucky to live in such a wonderful city and to be able to find places of calm and nature just a short stroll away. On our travels I spotted this little fella:














This is a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly. It is the same species that features in Jenny Matthews painting.....















"Moonlight Meadow" by Jenny Matthews. The butterfly in this gorgeous painting has been lovingly observed from life. This is the actual butterfly that Jenny found on her doorstep one December. Amazing!
I like this painting a lot. I particularly like the contrast between the meticulous detail, say the tiny blue dots on the butterlfys wings, and the lose and fluidly painted background. You probably can't see from this little image, but there is also some exquisite drawing work in the foreground...again in black. Very slick indeed.
Leaving you with this:














Bang on trend! Even Union Gallery hound Tommy is getting into the feel of Jenny Matthews' exhibition with his own little floral offering. However, DO NOT be fooled by his cutesy appearance!
Speak soon

No comments:

Post a Comment