Friday 31 May 2013

Take 3

Hello everyone

As we head into the final weekend of the glorious Annette Edgar solo exhibiton, I simply couldn't let it close without a nod to 3 of my (many) favourite paintings in the show.
First up:














'Stars on Palms', mixed media on card, by Annette Edgar.
I have picked this cracker as it's such a bonnie wee painting and I adore the title.
I would just love to lie under the palm trees in the warmth of the night and gaze up at those stars.

And:














'Mezzogiorno', oil on linen, by Annette Edgar.
I have previously waxed lyrical about details from the incredible 'Mezzogiorno'. It's only right that I show it here in its splendid entirety on the wall so you can get an idea of it's impact.
This seems such a simple, straight forward subject matter: eating al fresco with pals in the sun.
Yet how can something so simple have such an impact, with an almost biblical feel to it? To me it is reminiscent of the Last Supper - perhaps that is what the artist subconsciously intended.
Paul Gauguin has long been one of my artist heroes, and looking at 'Mezzogiorno' everyday has rekindled my appreciation of his work. If there was a toss up between a Gauguin and this particular painting, I actually think the Edgar would win.
Funnily enough, just today a visitor said there was something about Annette's paintings she couldn't quite put her finger on it, but that she felt uncomfortable leaving them. I get it completely: with such profound paintings as 'Mezzogiorno', its difficult to break your attention.

Last but by no means least:
















'Wharf Boys', oil on linen, by Annette Edgar.
The wonderful 'Wharf Boys'. I've picked these guys because, amongst many things, they make me happy. There's just something so satisfying in seeing these young boys happily going about their business of fishing and supplying the local restaurants with their catch.
I also enjoy the warmth in this painting. Although its an evening scene, the stars are twinkling and the atmosphere is one of a lively but happy evening about to unfold amongst the locals. It's painted mainly in what would traditionally be considered as 'cold' colours; blues, greens etc, but with the small injections of oranges and pinks Annette has captured the tropical feel perfectly.
The wharf boys are a memory Annette has from a holiday in Mauritius, and I am happy that for many, many years she has carried them around in her head and it is only now that she has immortalised them and brought them to Edinburgh.

Looking back at this blog I have picked out 3 super paintings, just a slice of what truly is an exceptional and eye opening exhibition. The lady was right in saying it's difficult to leave them, but my consolation is that if I continue to find artists of the calibre of Annette Edgar, then I can happily continue to do this job until I drop.

Speak soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment