Saturday 14 July 2012

Pretty as a Picture

Hello everyone,

As the Claire Duguid and Dylan Lisle exhibition continues to amaze all those who see it, I wanted to take a close look at Claire Duguid's work, and maybe even read between some lines.

Now there has been a lot of talk and excitement about Miss Duguid, particularly amongst the men folk, so lets get straight to the point: she is a good looking woman.  However, what I am most concerned about is her real talent.  Take a look at this:















'Blessed', oil on canvas, by Claire Duguid.
Yes, that is the artist in the painting, and she is indeed very pleasing on the eye.  But there's a lot more to this talented young woman than killer looks and a stunning set of pins, and I defy anyone to argue that this work of art has not been executed with real precision, skill and attention to detail.  There is a great deal of talent on display here.

I'd also like to add that it takes a brave person, man or woman, to appear on the walls alongside the mighty talent that is Dylan Lisle.  And what can I say?  I couldn't be more proud and happy with the result:















I do believe that in these two artists we have found both a really class act and the perfect foils for each other.  I'm biased of course, but it's no coincidence that internationally acclaimed artist Derek Guild, former tutor to Claire at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, has stated that he thinks this is the best exhibition currently in Scotland.  Praise indeed, which might lead me to have one of my 'emotional' moments!

Use of light is extremely important to both the artists in this exhibition, and both are admirers of the great masters like Caravaggio and Velasquez.  Whereas Dylan Lisle's work is dark and dramatic, Claire Duguid's is drenched, almost bleached, in sunlight which enhances its ethereal quality.

Personally, I enjoy that you can tell Claire Duguid's work has been painted by a woman.  There is a real femininity and softness of touch to the work; perhaps even a vulnerability which I think is very brave and encapsulates all that in means to be a modern woman.

I've often thought that being 'blessed' with such attractive features and a charming manner such as Claire's can be something of a hindrance.  What I mean is, on the opening night for example, many of the gentlemen visitors seemed to be fixated by Claire's charms.  I can't help wondering if, when she's talking about something so important and personal as her work, she is sometimes concerned that her words are sinking in.  I believe that Claire Duguid is far too polite to complain about this, so I feel compelled to shout on her behalf.  Yes, she is lovely to look at and it is a pleasure to be in her company, but PLEASE look at her work!  There is so much to admire in these paintings - the brains, the precision, the hard graft and the determination that goes into creating such exquisite paintings is there for all to see.  It is these things that I believe are truly rewarding and, I believe, are what make up the true talent of Claire Duguid.

Happy weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment